Road trips are, to put simply, an experience unmatched! It could be an all friends outing, or a romantic drive along the country roads; whatever be it, road trips surely leave a fantastically lasting impression on your mind – mostly the unplanned ones!
So are you ‘un’planning one soon enough? Here’s my bucket list of the top road trip routes in the world that you should have on your bucket list –
- Alpenstraβe, Germany
- Where is it: This is a road 450 km in length, running between Lindau and Berchtesgaden.
- Road Trip Features: With both straight stretches, curves, as well as hairpin, bends in the mountains, this is a road that has something to offer for every road tripper. Wide and with high speeds allowed, this road quite literally screams out, “Wilkommen Sie zu Deutschland!”
- Specialties: The road takes you through the romantic Italian Rose Garden in Konstanz, the exquisite spas in Oberstaufen, the green pastures of Immenstadt, past the Groβer Alpsee and onto Oberstdorf, which houses the Breitachklamm gorge.
- Why FoP recommends: The breathtakingly serene alpine lakes, the majestic high forests and the stunning castles that are no less than straight out of a fairytale!
2. Dalton Highway
- Where is it: Alaska, USA
- Road Trip Features: A 666 km road from Livengood to Prudhoe Bay, the highway snakes through forests and the tundra, crosses the heavenly Yukon river, passes through the Brooks Range, and ends at the great Arctic Ocean after humbly going through the North Slope.
- Specialties: An ideal getaway from the hustle of city life, the Dalton Highway presents a treasure trove of scenic sights along its expanse. Visit it during June or July to experience the best climatic conditions.
- Why FoP recommends: The Yukon River bridge looks like a scene from some princess movie, and you are bound to be awestruck by it. The road trip is definitely one that all travellers should have on their bucket list!
3. Icefields Parkway
- Where is it: A 232 km stretch of outstanding natural habitat, Icefields Parkway runs through the Canadian Rockies and two separate national parks.
- Road Trip Features: An ideal road trip for the nature enthusiasts, this roadway runs through a wide range of natural locations, right from mountain lakes to glaciers, to stunning valleys. A must visit for the road trippers!
- Why FoP recommends: Paradise in every sense if you are one who loves to experience raw. With a plethora of wildlife and viewing points dotted along the way, other than the usual choices for a road trip – car or bike, this road trip can also be completed by foot.
- Where is it: Located in the Fagaras Mountains in Romania, this road is quite shorter than the others at only 90 km but is definitely at par with the rest.
- Road Trip Features: The road runs gleefully through the Fagaras Mountains in Romania, and connects the mesmerizing Transylvania with Muntenia, with a lot of pictures perfect scenic locations peppering the road at intervals.
- Why FoP recommends: The road may be short, but it will surely take a long time to commute the length because of thanks to the spellbinding sheer beauty of the natural surroundings along the mountains and valleys. With sharp bends, the speed limit is low, but once you start, speed will be the last thing on your mind!
5. Amalfi Coast
- Where is it: This strip of coastal road along the Southern side of the Sorrento Peninsula is considered to be the best road trip site in Italy, and considering the number of scenic locations in Italy, this is definitely saying something.
- Road Trip Features: The road starts at the southern flank of the Peninsula in Salerno, and ends at Naples passing through the towns of Amalfi, Positano and Ravello; all abundant in their stash of scenic locations.
- Why FoP recommends: The Italian coastline is surely a sight that has to be experienced at least once in a lifetime, and I look forward to the experience of having authentic Italian food with the sun setting over the sea is totally breathtaking!
Ila is a writer by passion & profession! She is also a fashion stylist, professional life coach, a learning coach & a spiritual coach! Those who seek her guidance, always return uplifted with deep, transformational, practical insights and most importantly: with a smile!Her hobbies include travelling, listening soulful music, composing poems. She believes – “a smile in any given situation is the truest sign of success!”Keep Shining your Light.